Pages


Monday, March 29, 2010

Have you ever seen Ladybug Larvae devour aphids?


Spring has sprung in San Diego, and with the recent rains, everything is growing like crazy. Weeds, plants, and bugs! 

We use organic methods for pest control and have purchased a couple of ladybug colonies over the last 2 years. I have tried time and time again to move a ladybug to an aphid infested plant to see her happily and gratefully feast on the buffet prepared for her. However, she has always refused to take her meal at my beckoning, and usually flies away, quite irritated with me at that.

Until now, my goal of getting some photos of a ladybug in the act of eating aphids has failed. But wait!

On March 21, 2010, I was passing by my little flower rock garden in the front yard, and I spied a couple of ladybug larvae on my mini rose bush. When I bent down to take a look, why, here they were feasting on a group of aphids that had literally covered a rose bud until you could not recognize it!

Over the course of the next four hours, the group of three larvae devoured every single aphid from the plant.


















No comments:

Post a Comment

Please enter any comments here, items you find useful, or related content!